Tuesday, February 08, 2005

Lent: A non-Catholic's point of view

So, for the past few years, ever since I lived with a nice young guy who was Catholic, I've managed to give up something challenging for Lent. For Forty days, I gave up sex. I gave up alcohol. Last year I gave up eating meat (which has been the only one I stuck with, so far), but this year, nothing is coming to mind.

I realize I have no obligation to give up anything for Lent, but making a self-sacrifice of some kind, particularly when it's giving up what might be considered a personal vice seems like it's a good idea. It's always good to keep yourself in check, and to make sure that you are driving your decisions rather than letting some other thing or substance drive them.

At any rate, if any of you lovely readers has any suggestions on things that I might give up for Lent in order to reflect a positive change in my life, or want to give me further clarification on the purpose of this exercise in general, I'd love to hear them...

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Umm...ice cream?
uuhh...hmm...sex-box?
Sleep? Shit.
I don't know, I don't have any practice at this.
Fuck. Running?
You said yourself its addicting, the 'runner's high' and all.

8:38 AM, February 09, 2005  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home